Department of Statistics
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
xfang at sta.cuhk.edu.hk
2007.7-2012.4, Ph.D., Statistics, National University of Singapore, supervised by and
2003.9-2007.7, B.S., Mathematics, Peking University
2016.8-present, Assistant Professor, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2014.8-2016.7, Instructor, National University of Singapore
2012.10-2014.7, Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University
2012.5-2012.9, Research Fellow, National University of Singapore
My research interests include SteinÕs method for probability approximations, change-point analysis and their applications.
Preprints and submitted papers (available on arXiv)
1. Detection and estimation of local signals (with ).
2. Normal approximation and fourth moment theorems for monochromatic triangles (with Bhaswar B. Bhattacharya and Han Yan).
3. New error bounds in multivariate normal approximations via exchangeable pairs with applications to Wishart matrices and fourth moment theorems (with Yuta Koike).
4. High-dimensional central limit theorems by SteinÕs method (with Yuta Koike).
6. Multivariate normal approximation by Stein's method: the concentration inequality approach (with ).
Published or accepted papers
1. A refined Cramr-type moderate deviation for sums of local statistics (with Li Luo and ). To appear in Bernoulli.
2. Segmentation and estimation of change-point models: false positive control and confidence regions (with Jian Li and ). To appear in Annals of Statistics.
3. Wasserstein-2 bounds in normal approximation under local dependence. Electronic Journal of Probability. 24 (2019), 1-14.
4. Multivariate approximations in Wasserstein distance by Stein's method and Bismut's formula (with and ). Probability Theory and Related Field. 174 (2019), 945-979. [Correction]
5. Limit theorems with rate of convergence under sublinear expectations (with , and ). Bernoulli. 25 (2019), 2564-2596.
6. A multivariate CLT for bounded decomposable random vectors with the best known rate. Journal of Theoretical Probability. 29 (2016), 1510-1523.
7. Poisson approximation for two scan statistics with rates of convergence (with David Siegmund). Annals of Applied Probability. 26 (2016), 2384-2418.
8. Rates of convergence for multivariate normal approximation with applications to dense graphs and doubly indexed permutation statistics (with Adrian Rllin). Bernoulli. 21 (2015), 2157-2189.
9. On the error bound in a combinatorial central limit theorem (with Louis H. Y. Chen). Bernoulli 21 (2015), 335-359.
10. A universal error bound in the CLT for counting monochromatic edges in uniformly colored graphs. Electronic Communications in Probability. 20 (2015), 1-6.
11. Discretized normal approximation by Stein's method. Bernoulli 20 (2014), 1404-1431.
STAT5005 Advanced Probability Theory, CUHK, fall 2018 and 2019.
STAT2102 Basic Statistical Concepts and Methods II, CUHK, spring 2017-2020.
STAT3210 Statistical Techniques in Life Sciences, CUHK, fall 2016 and 2017.
ST4232 Nonparametric Statistics, NUS, spring 2016.
ST5207 Nonparametric Regression, NUS, fall 2015.
ST5218 Advanced Statistical Methods in Finance, NUS, spring 2015.
ST5221 Probability and Stochastic Processes, NUS, fall 2014.
2019.1-2021.12, Hong Kong RGC GRF 14302418
2018.1-2020.12, Hong Kong RGC ECS 24301617
2017.1-, CUHK Direct Grants
2016.8-2022.7, CUHK Start-up Grant
Invited reviewer for Mathematical Reviews; referee for Ann. Appl. Probab., Ann. Probab., Ann. Statist., Bernoulli, J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B, etc.
Updated in April 2020.